PHONE 619 913-7834
Bachelor of Arts. Texas State University
Major: Geography- Environmental Management
University of Puerto Rico. Intensive Spanish Studies.
Maritime Institute, San Diego. Preparatory class that resulted in achieving a USCG Masters License- 100 tons with sail and towing endorsement.
Miramar College. Diesel Mechanics classes resulting in a fuel injection certification.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
06/07 – Present Professional Yacht Delivery and Charter Boat Captain. Self employed.
10/06-06/07. First Mate/Engineer position on a Westport 130’ motoryacht.
06/05 – 09/05. Neilsen/Beaumont Yacht Management Company. Mechanic’s assistant and journeyman.Mechanical/Carpentry/Fiberglass.
03/96 – 06/05. Seaforth Boat Rentals. General Manager (4 ½ years) and Location
Manager (5 years).
· Responsibilities included supervising and training employees and managers for a 4 location company that grossed over $2.5 million annually and employed 25-50 staff members annually.
· Implemented and coordinated standardized policies for company profitability, safety, and efficiency.
· Oversaw employee scheduling as applied towards customer volume and task completion.
· Responsible for effective company marketing and public relations with regards to hotels and contacts in the hospitality/tourism industry.
· Oversaw a fleet of over 100 vessels, ranging from 16’-52’ with regards to profitability, safety, and customer satisfaction.
· Organized employee events and wrote a monthly employee newsletter to keep staff current on relevant company policies and activities.
· Headed the corporate business sector of the company, which delivered quality sailing and boating events to groups of up to 200 people.
· Daily operations consisted of troubleshooting and fixing vessel or facility problems, became very adept at marine maintenance.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
02/95 – 02/96 Owned and operated a commercial diving/ hull cleaning service. Black Water Divers.
02/95 – 02/96 Discover Scuba. Salesperson and Divemaster for a profitable and busy Scuba shop in Houston, Texas.
INTERESTS AND ATTRIBUTES
I am very interested and committed to pursuing a career in the maritime industry. I am a boat owner, charter boat captain, and professional sailing instructor…I love working on and around the water. I enjoy customer service and am good at supplying customers with quality and efficient service. I am adept at juggling multiple tasks and work well under pressure. I am always up for a challenge, whether it be a deadline to meet, or a difficult customer. I love to learn new skills and enhance my technical abilities, and I work well with others. I try to make profitability, safety, and customer satisfaction my top goals in my work environment.
Sailing, surfing, scuba diving, and travel. I am proficient in Spanish. My extensive offshore passages have taken me from San Diego up the coast to Canada. Southbound from San Diego down to Costa Rica and the Panama Canal. On the Atlantic Coasts I have transited from Key West to New York City, including many stops on the ICW. My longest blue water passage was from San Diego to Hawaii (18 days open ocean).
To have a career with challenging work projects in which I can develop technical skills and continue working in customer service.
See references at the bottom of my “RECENT VESSEL DELIVERY EXPERIENCE” DAVID BROTHERTON
PHONE 619 913-7834